To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Coney Island and the Big Pink Dog

There is a burger joint literally right across the street from our apartment, and we JUST went there to eat on Friday. For a burger lover I am slacking big time. I'm kind of disappointed in myself for taking so long, but I was NOT disappointed by BareBurger. It was delish. They serve only the freshest organic ingredients and you can tell. The burgers were super good and the sweet potato croqs we had on the side divine. We will be going there again. 

Saturday we decided to hit up Coney Island. I was excited to hang out on the beach and ride some rides on the boardwalk. Um...the day didn't turn out exactly as planned. The beach was SO CROWDED and they didn't have any rental chairs/umbrellas. So our hanging out on the beach consisted of walking down to the water, dipping our toes in, then walking right back up to the boardwalk. Turns out wearing our swimsuits wasn't quite necessary. 




Ok, so the beach didn't exactly thrill us so we headed to our next stop, the amusement park on the board walk. Turns out Dan HATES rides. I always thought he was just saying that and I could bully him into riding anything with me, but turns out I was wrong. Which actually works out to my advantage b/c it appeases a lifelong fear I have had. 

SIDE BAR: 

I have always said that I HAVE to have an even number of children because I had an irrational fear that on family trips to Disney World or any amusement park really, that I, as the mom, would be stuck hanging out with everyone's crap while they rode rides with Dad and I was the odd person out with no ride partner. PROBLEM SOLVED. Dan is officially the bag holder on those future trips with our hypothetical children. I can rest easy now. 

END SIDE BAR. 

AND the rides were SIX DOLLARS PER PERSON PER RIDE. Holy cow. I did talk Dan in to riding the ferris wheel (pictured above) with me and I took a jaunt on the swings with a little boy stranger as my partner. 




I patted myself on the bag for this cool pic of Brooklyn, the Q train, and the Manhattan skyline in the background.


After our rides I asked Dan to pretty please win me something on one of the carnival games. Well imagine my surprise when he did and I got to walk around for the rest of the day with a HUGE PINK DOG. It's actually rather gratifying walking around with a huge pink dog because it really means, "My man's manlier than your man." You should have seen the jealous looks from girls whose husbands/boyfriends weren't manly enough to win them a big pink dog. 




Next on the agenda was to hit up the Original Nathan's Hot Dog Stand. I was stoked for this as I love hot dogs. Um...disappointed. It was gross. I now have an even deeper appreciation for those hot dog eating contest winners b/c not only do they eat a bajillion hot dogs, they eat a bajillion gross ones. Luckily for us, they had just opened a Grimaldi's Pizza joint across the street (think our fave place with hour lines in Brooklyn), so all was not lost on the food front. 

We were just a couple days too early to witness a true classic american tradition...

I thought this was going to be my tasting glory pic...fail




All in all it was a great day at the very odd Coney Island. Dan and I had a lot of fun just being together and being silly. 

Remember how I mentioned that the beach was crowded? Ok, compared to the old days in Coney Island, there was barely a soul on the beach. 


See what I mean?




No comments:

Post a Comment