To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Home is where...well who the heck knows

I have started feeling guilt surrounding my use of the "h" word. I feel guilty for referring to my new home as home because I feel like I'm betraying the home I grew up in. I also feel guilty when referring to SC as home because it is not the home I share with Dan.

What's a girl to do?

So I have given this a lot of thought and remembered some quotes about home I have heard referenced. I think I may have come to a conclusion...ok maybe several conclusions, but I like that. 

"Home is where your husband is."

This is true. Dan and I have moved three times in the last year so we have had three different homes. I have truly learned that home is wherever we are together. The actual roof over our heads doesn't seem to matter. That is kinda nice. 

"Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to."

Well This certainly hold a lot of truth as well. Growing up I really wanted to know what else the world had to offer other than Goose Creek, SC and I couldn't wait to find out. Then I actually left and still find myself finding every excuse in the world to get back as much as possible. 

"Home is where your heart is"

So true. However this further confirms that idea that home is a concept because it is physically impossible for me to have as many homes as places where my heart resides. My heart is in Goose Creek, Chandler, Provo, Miami, DC, shoot Hawaii for that matter.  

"Peace - that was the other name for home."
 
And we have a winner. Home is Peace. We feel peace when we are at home and anywhere we feel peace can be considered our home. 

  In my mind, home is a concept more than an actual place. 

Works for me. 

Anyway, the point of all of that is that I just returned from a trip "Home" to Goose Creek where I was for the past week. I decided to take the journey down south, frankly, because I could and I wanted to take advantage of that. So I packed up my "office" and suitcase and took off. I still had to work, but I just set up in my parents house. 

I had a FAB week of shopping, going to the beach, scrap booking with Caroline, exercising, walking the Cooper River Bridge with my Momma, Sushi and gabbing with Jackie, celebrating my cousin Preston's B-Day, having breakfast with Aunt Mary, and taking in one of Caroline's soccer games with my Dad. Of course I didn't get my camera out once, I am seriously getting on my own nerves, but I did snap two with my phone. 

Isle of Palms - PERFECT DAY - That's my cousin Bryce playing in the tide pool.

Lo and Caroline bonding


I had a great time. It was just what I needed. Nothing beats spending time with family.

But then I got to come home to my Hubby.

Doesn't get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment