To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dan's Birthday Weekend

During our time here with the Treasury (cough cough unpaid internship cough cough), we are going the simple route for birthdays, and well everything else...haha. 

By the way this has seriously gotten in the way of my previous plans for EPIC QUARTER OF A CENTURY BIRTHDAYS...but oh well. Epic 26ths maybe? Or maybe 27ths...who knows. 

Anyway, I did figure out that simple can also be fabulous. 

So Dan told me he wanted to stay home and have a home cooked meal for his B-Day, so I got to work making that simple yet FAB!

First item of business was the cake. I searched and searched and actually settled on cupcakes that I found on the one and only Pinterest. They were Reese Cup Cupcakes. They actually have a miniature Reese cups baked into them...Dan's heaven? I think so. I decided on chocolate cake for the batter and iced them with some peanut butter icing, and garnished with chopped up reese cups. 

No this recipe is not for those of you who have EVER used the phrase..."it's too rich". Dan and I actually bonded over our not understanding that phrase while we were dating. 

Since I'm me I didn't think making cupcakes for Dan's Bday and just putting them on a plate was in anyway appropriate, so I found some free printables and a dessert stand tutorial (made out of two plates and a candle stick holder...genius) online and got my thrifty craft on. 

Cake Stand Supplies

Mid Process...
Finished dessert stand with Cupcakes!



Birthday Banner!
 So on the morning of his birthday I got up while he was in the shower and surprised him with some pancakes for breakfast. 

He had to work all day...boo...so we had our little party for two when he got home. I cooked him a dinner full of his favorite foods...Steak, twice baked potato, asparagus, and jalepeno mac n cheese.


 Then Dan did his birthday boy duties by blowing out his candle...




Then came the presents...




He got a new shirt and tie, WW2 war poster, some treats, and his parents surprised him with tickets to the Maryland vs WVU football game the next day!

Then we snuggled up and watched Parks and Rec while laughing our butts off. It was a great evening together!


The next day we went to the Maryland Game! It was so fun and such a beautiful campus! It was shockingly cold..around 55 degrees so we froze, but it was a good game so well worth it! 



We headed home that night for some birthday leftovers along with some Gamecock and BYU Football. It turned out to be a fabulous birthday weekend for Dan! 

He woke up sick Sunday morning, but we will leave that part out.

1 comment: