To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Natural Disasters and a Weekend Get-a-way!

So last week was a bit of an odd week here in D.C.

On Tuesday I was sitting at my desk working as usual here at home. All of the sudden I felt like I was swaying. I turned around to look out of the window for a point of reference and the metal fence was unmistakeably swaying as well.

Weird.

Then the earth shook, literally. We had a 5.8 magnitude earthquake. My whole building was rocking. It was pretty scary. Then it stopped. It wasn't very long at all. I didn't even have time to decide what the appropriate act of safety would be. All I could think about was the fact that in school we were told to get under our desks. That wasn't of much help to me here.

But in the end there was no major damage and everyone was safe. Cell phone service was out of whack for a while which caused a slightly paniced husband and wife trying to get in touch to make sure one another was ok. But we got in contact and all was well. Turns out Dan had to evacuate the treasury building. Little more dramatic than my moment of confusion here at home.

Apparantly the earthquake was felt all the way from Atlanta to NYC, although it was centered just south of DC. Crazy stuff. I have never felt an earthquake before. I can't image how terrifying the really big ones must be to experience.

One natural disaster is usually enough for one week right?

Wrong.

I had been hearing about Hurricane Irene for a while but never imagined in a million years that it would have an effect on me here in DC. Frankly, I was getting worried about my family in SC. Well on about Thursday, I finally paid enough attention to notice that SC was not the problem, NC and north along the east coast were going to have the issues. Oh wait, I live on the east coast above NC. Sure enough, that darn hurricane was heading our way.

Being from South Carolina, I kept thinking I was the Hurricane Guru and hurricanes almost ALWAYS turn at the last minute and all the hussle bussle of preparing for them is wasted.

Well Friday morning as Irene was still right on track, I headed to the grocery store. No water, no flashlights, thirty minutes in line for bread, canned fruit, and peanut butter.

It was at this point I realized that I just wasn't quite ready for this Hurricane. Shame.

So Dan and I discussed the fact that we live in a basement apartment that slightly flooded the weekend before whlie we were away during some rain. That rain was heavy, but no hurricane status. So combining our flooding fears, as well as our poor preparation for life without electricity, we decided to take off for the weekend.

We headed west to Winchester, VA home of.....well not much.

But it turned out to be a fabulous weekend for Dan and I. Since we were in Utah for our anniversary the weekend before we decided to celebrate there in Winchester. We cuddled up and watched lots and lots of movies, ate some junk food, went out for a nice Italian dinner, and just relaxed.

When Dan and I were married we had a ring ceremony after the Temple where we exchanged vows that we had written for one another. Dan had the idea for us to write new vows to each other on our anniversary so we began that tradition as well.

It was a fabulous run from the hurricane/celebrate our 1 year anniversary weekend.

By the time we got back home we had power and had no flooding. WooHoo! Still waiting for the cable to come back on though.

Of course I forgot my camera as we left on Friday, UGH!, but I did get a couple of photos of some trees that were blown down on our street.



No comments:

Post a Comment