To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving takes on a whole new meaning

Thanksgiving has already come and gone....geez! Now we are already coming up on Christmas...the holidays sure do FLY BY!

This year we spent Thanksgiving with my family in South Carolina. Of course I brought my camera but took NO pictures...WHY can I not pull my camera out when I go home? It's SO annoying.

But it was a fabulous Thanksgiving (besides the AWFUL traffic on our trip there). I love to cook so I enjoyed every second of cooking all day.

The menu at the Morris residence consists of...
  1. Turkey (usually fried, this year brined...turns out turkey is turkey...still gotta pile on the gravy or cranberry sauce in my opinion)
  2. Homemade macaroni and cheese
  3. Sweet Potato Casserole
  4. Southern green beans
  5. Cornbread casserole
  6. Spring's (Paula Dean's) Yummy sausage and cranberry stuffing
  7. Collards
  8. Ham
  9. Caroline's Homemade rolls
  10. Pumpkin Roll
  11. Apple Crisp
  12. Heathbar Cake
  13. Cookie Bars
  14. Whole Cranberry Sauce (I make this every year and I am consistently the only one who eats it every year, no on in the fam likes cranberry sauce!)
YUM! I always forget how much I love Thanksgiving dinner (but secretly I could do without the Ham and Turkey)

Black Friday came early for us this year. The outlets opened at 10 pm on Thanksgiving day and we were there! Dan got some great stuff at his favorite store Brooks Brothers, and I got to raid Banana Republic and J Crew. I ended up staying out with my Mom, Caroline, and Courtney until about 3 am!

The next day Dan watched football and I went back out shopping with my momma. Dan and I had dinner with our fabulous friends Kelly, Darryl, Stephanie, Chad, Kristin, and Justin  at Wild Wings that night.

Saturday we had a lazy day with my mom, dad, and little sister. It was a blast just laying around chatting it up. We all watched the Carolina vs. Clemson game that night and cheered as my GAMECOCKS WON!!!

Sadly, we had to return to DC on Sunday. However, our trip didn't go as expected.

Dan and I got into a car accident on our way home. Witnesses said we flipped about five times. Both of us agree we have never been so terrified in our lives. After it was over, the sound of Dan's voice was the most comforting, joyous sound I've ever heard. We walked away with bumps and bruises.

I wanted to write about this because I never want to forget the feelings of gratitude that Dan and I experienced and continue to feel. If a million little factors would have been different, the outcome could have been a vastly difference scenario. The experience of us having an everyday conversation and suddenly finding ourselves in a very dangerous situation is extremely overwhelming. Two days later and we are still very shaken by that very idea.

We are so grateful for our Heavenly Father and his love and protection. We are making the commitment to never forget that moment that we looked at each other and saw that we were each ok. We are going to use this as motivation to not sweat the small, and I mean tiny, things that we let fill our hearts with worry and fear everyday. Our perspective has been forever changed and I'm so grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Ash!!! I'm so glad you guys are okay! How terrifying. You certainly do have a lot to be grateful for this holiday season. xoxo

    ReplyDelete